There are countless scenarios that are valid for a personal injury claim. If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of others, the best thing you can do is contact a personal injury lawyer.
The law defines personal injury as an injury to the body, mind, or emotions. This is in contrast to an injury to property. Personal injury lawsuits fall under US civil and tort law. Tort law concerns acts that cause harm but are not necessarily illegal as with criminal law.
What Constitutes a Personal Injury Case?
There are thousands of different ways for someone to hurt you, and many of those ways could form the basis of a personal injury case. The essential factor is that the accident was the fault of someone other than yourself.
Here are a few common types of injury cases that a personal injury lawyer in San Francisco, CA could assist you with:
- Workplace Accidents – Many workplace accidents include a third party other than your employer who may be at fault for your injury. A third party can be named in a workplace accident injury claim.
- Traffic Accidents – No matter what type of vehicles were involved—trucks, cars, motorcycles, or others—you are entitled to seek compensation from the driver, construction crew, parts manufacturer, or government agency responsible for your accident.
- Product Liability – If a defective or malfunctioning product injured you when you were using it correctly, you might be able to name the manufacturer in your personal injury claim.
- Premises Liability – If you are injured on another person’s property, he or she can be held legally responsible for any injuries you sustained, such as a fall or burn.
- Medical Malpractice – If you were hurt while under the care of a health care provider because of negligent or careless actions, you might be able to file a medical malpractice claim.
- Personal injury resulting in serious injuries or death of a family member
- Cases of assault and battery
- Insurance companies’ refusal to pay for medical expenses of the injured party or whose coverage is less than what was contracted
- Slander, libel and defamation
Compensation for Your Personal Injury
Personal injuries can alter the course of your life, and getting the compensation you deserve may be imperative to your future health, income, and quality of life.
However, keep in mind that many states have a statute of limitations for filing injury claims, so contacting a lawyer quickly is essential to getting the compensation you deserve. In California, the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the injury.
Here are some of the things a lawyer considers when evaluating your claim to provide you with maximum compensation:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost income and lost earning potential
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Property damage
- Reduced quality of life
Take the legal step
Working with a personal injury lawyer can give you the best possible chance of receiving compensation for the injuries you’ve suffered. Especially if you consult with a reputable firm like The Morales Law Firm. They know how essential compensation is when you’re injured because of someone else’s negligent actions, and they can make sure you get what you’re owed. Take a legal step towards getting your claim.